Providing an insight into the past, present and future, Pioneer Threshermans is located 15 km east of High Prairie in the Triangle District within the MD of Big Lakes. Pioneer Threshermans facility(s) sits on 80 acres nestled among cleared and wooded land.
On September 24, 1962 a Certificate of Incorporation was granted and the name was changed to “Pioneer Threshermans Association at Triangle”.
Our Local History
Pioneer Threshermans Association was established in 1962 to preserve and maintain our pioneer heritage.
The High Prairie region was historically under water, a part of Lesser Slave Lake. When the water receded, fertile land, fed by many small streams was left behind. The Cree Indians named the district "Muskatayospi", which means "Prairie River", after the two main streams in the area, the West Prairie and East Prairie Rivers.
The Klondike Gold Rush in 1897-98 brought a large influx of white people through Grouard, which was then the gateway to the north.
The opening of Northern Alberta to homesteaders followed the historical water routes from Edmonton, through Athabasca Landing to Lesser Slave Lake and then going north on the old Grouard Trail. World War II further opened the road system with the building of the Alaskan Highway (which goes past Triangle).
The railroad played an important role to opening the area to settlers. The steam engine was the muscle machine of the era. Not only powering trains, steam engines were used to saw logs for lumber and powered the plows that broke the land for crops.
High Prairie can attribute its humble beginnings to settlers who came here in pursuit of cheap, fertile land. The first settlers arrived here around the turn of the century.
High Prairie's real development began as a result of the railroad. Partly due to a mix-up in water samples, the railroad was rerouted, by-passing the thriving town of Grouard and ended up going through High Prairie towards Winagami Lake. Within a year of this development, many of the businesses in Grouard left and relocated in High Prairie. An influx of people followed and the hamlet began to grow. A school district was formed in 1908, and the first school was named Prairie River.
Unfortunately we lost some valuable members of our association.
They treasured many wonderful memories of the time we spent with them.
They will all be missed but never forgotten.
Stan Deynaka 1937---2015
Matt Zahacy 1937---2015
Vickey Strause 1933---2014
Bob Williscroft 1928---2013
Warren Stout 1940---2012
Lorne Napier 1925---2012
Dennis Fjeld 1946---2011
Myrtle Cook 1947---2009
Dorothy Turner 1920---2007
Lyle Fjeld 1957---2006
Roy Turner 1921---2006
Betty Martinson 1920---2004
Yvonne M. Kalita 1943---2003
Don Strause 1930---2003
Jack Burley 1906---2002
Members that have passed prior to 2000.
With our apologies to any we have missed: